Please be advised that the section you enter is determined by the competitors enrolled year level. Younger dancers may participate in older sections for example a student in year 8 may compete in Senior Secondary Sections (year 10 to 12). In dance it is normal to dance up a level as long as the total team does not have a dancer who is in a higher school grade than specified. For example, a year 10 student cannot enter a junior secondary (year 7-9) section.
Team entries are $45 per item.
Duo/Trio entries are $30 per item.
Solos are $30 per item.
Professional Experience Auditions are $20 per entry.
Changes to entries and/or late entries will occur a $20 fee per dance.
All entries and payments are to be submitted online via Comps-Online (www.comps-online.com.au)
Entries open: 1 January 2023
Closing date for entries:
Gold Coast Region 22 April
Bundaberg Region 27 May
Sunshine Coast 3 June
Brisbane Region 24 June
QLD State Finals 19 August
(note: closing date for sections are subject to change if capacity is met earlier than expected)
Late entries will be accepted for one week however a late-fee will be applied.
To avoid errors, only entries made online will be accepted. After entries close we will ensure you have all information as quickly as possible as we understand the need for you to organise this through your school's procedure. For this reason, please enter sooner rather than waiting until the last minute.
Groups are a minimum of 4 dancers and a maximum of 35 dancers per group. A maximum time limit of 4 minutes per team is also required.
SECTION 1: Primary School Jazz Teams
SECTION 2: Primary School Lyrical/Contemporary Teams
SECTION 3: Primary Hip Hop Teams
SECTION 4: Primary Junior Teams (Prep-3 only, any style)
SECTION 5: Junior Secondary (Years 7-9) Jazz Teams
SECTION 6: Junior Secondary (Years 7-9) Hip Hop Teams
SECTION 7: Junior Secondary (Years 7-9) Lyrical Teams
SECTION 8: Junior Secondary (Years 7-9) Contemporary Teams
SECTION 9: Junior Secondary (Years 7-9) Any Other Style Teams
SECTION 10: Junior Secondary (Years 7-9) Student Choreography any style (Teams)
SECTION 11: Junior Secondary (Years 7-9) Jazz Professional Experience Audition
SECTION 12: Junior Secondary (Years 7-9) Contemp/Lyrical Professional Experience Audition
SECTION 13: Junior Secondary (Years 7-9) Duo/Trios any style
SECTION 14: Junior Secondary (Year 7-9) Solos any style
SECTION 15: Senior Secondary (Years 10-12) Jazz Teams
SECTION 16: Senior Secondary (Years 10-12) Hip Hop Teams
SECTION 17: Senior Secondary (Years 10-12) Lyrical Teams
SECTION 18: Senior Secondary (Years 10-12) Contemporary Teams
SECTION 19: Senior Secondary (Years 10-12) Any Other Style Teams
SECTION 20: Senior Secondary (Year 10-12) Student Choreography any style (Teams)
SECTION 21: Senior Secondary (Years 10-12) Jazz Professional Experience Audition
SECTION 22: Senior Secondary (Years 10-12) Contemp/Lyrical Professional Experience Audition
SECTION 23: Senior Secondary (Years 10-12) Duos/Trios any style
SECTION 24: Senior Secondary (Years 10-12) Solos any style
‘Any Other Style’ may include genres such as musical theatre, acrobatics, novelty and/or ANY dance style will be acceptable.
'Professional Experience Audition' is an individual entry. Students will spend 30 mins with an industry choreographer learning a short sequence in their entered style. They will then perform the sequence in groups in an 'audition style' format. Its a great experience to learn from someone new whilst gaining an authentic insight of auditions.
'Student Choreography' must be choreographed and formed by a currently enrolled student in the correct age group, The age group must be the age of the choreographer and performers.
A digital program will be emailed to the email address on your entry form as it becomes available. A printed copy will be available to purchase ($10) and pick up at the venue on the day of competition if you prefer a hard-copy.
Competitors Pass: $10 per student
Schools must purchase a compulsory dancers pass for every competing dancer. These will be purchased at the time of entering. This will allow the dancer access to the auditorium. Should the theatre become full, we would ask that students vacate the auditorium to allow for guests.
Two (2) teachers passes per entering school are available from the administration on arrival on the day of the competition.
www.comps-online.com.au At the time of checkout and payment you need to print & have a copy of your Comps-Online invoice as proof of payment. Should this not be generated then the payment did not go through but can be easily rectified through Comps-Online. We regret that entries/invoices not paid for in full via Comps-Online by the closing date will not be included in the competition or the program. Please ensure the Comps-Online entry includes the contact email address and phone number for the teacher in charge of your dance department.
This will be held by Dance Exchange Competition for up to 1 month after the event date. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org for enquiries.
1. ENTRANTS - Dancers/Schools/Studios enter and participate in this eisteddfod according to all rules and guidelines listed. Lack of knowledge will not be accepted as a reason for the infringement of any rule.
2. EVENT - This Eisteddfod is open to amateurs only who have not or are not receiving income derived from the particular class for which they entered.
3. SUITABILITY - This is a family-oriented dance competition; therefore costumes, routines and lyrics must be suitable.
4. COPYRIGHT - Dance Exchange is not responsible for any infringement of copyright or royalty by performers or those associated with the performances. Copied music and choreography is used at their own risk. We assume that all studios/schools hold the relevant licenses.
5. THE ADJUDICATORS DECISION WILL BE FINAL - The Adjudicator has the power to withhold or divide prizes according to merit of performance. Communication with the Adjudicator either by competitors, teachers or other interested parties during the competition is forbidden. All inquiries or requests are to be directed to the stage manager.
6. ALTERATIONS/CHANGES TO THE PROGRAM OR ADJUDICATOR - Dance Exchange reserves the right to make any alterations or additions to the program when they become necessary and to appoint a substitute Adjudicator at any time without notice. Competitors dance in all sections at their own risk and in the order according to the scheduled program.
7. NO PUBLIC PROTEST WILL BE PERMITTED AT THE COMPETITION - Protests must be made in writing and handed to the Stage Manager within half an hour of the cause of the protest arising, accompanied by a fee of $50.00, which will be forfeited if the protest is considered frivolous. The decision of the Dance Exchange will be final.
8. TIME LIMITS - Time limits will be strictly adhered to otherwise deductions will apply. Maximum time for a routine is 4 minutes.
9. AGE LIMIT - Competitors must be prepared to provide proof of age/year level if required. Please be advised that the section you enter is determined by the oldest Competitor, younger dancers may participate in older sections. e.g. A student in Year 8 but may compete in Senior Secondary Sections Years 10 to 12. In dance it is normal to dance-up as long as the total team does not have a dancer who is in a higher school grade than specified.
10. GROUPS - A maximum of three groups only per School are permitted to enter in any one section. Group sections are determined by the age of the eldest competitor in the group. The minimum number in any group is 4 dancers; the maximum number is 35 dancers. Competitors are permitted to appear in all groups. The teacher has the responsibility of checking in their groups and seeing they are marshalled ready to dance in turn (in the order of the program). There will be no official marshalling and failure to appear will not be the responsibility of Dance Exchange and you will forfeit your entry.
11. STAGE - Competitors must show respect for the stage. No special effects for lighting can be requested and there are no blackouts. Also, please note that no rosin is to be used on the stage. No foreign substance is to be spilt on the stage and no lit candles or naked flames are permitted. Props must never be dragged. Assistance with props is allowed but only when it is your team's item and section. Be sure your helpers safely enter/exit props and vacate the side of stage area immediately after.
12. EXPECTATIONS/SPORTSMANSHIP - As this is a friendly competition that respects all who wish to take part, bad sportsmanship will not be tolerated. Anyone who distresses a teacher, competitor, or a volunteer will be subject to disciplinary action.
13. MUSIC - We use Music Uploads for all music items. Please go to www.musicuploads.com.au It is rather important that these tracks must be already labelled correctly as per the numbered program - do this before submitting your music in. For example: Section, School, Team Name.
14. BACKSTAGE SUPPORT - We ask you to be respectful of the amount of people backstage acting as support – 1 or 2 Teachers maximum per group. Backstage management has the right to remove anyone at any time and we ask that you always follow the directions of the Stage Manager or face penalties. Assistance with props is allowed but only when it is your studio’s section and item that these helpers enter for prop use and please vacate the side of stage area immediately after.
15. PHOTOGRAPHY OR VIDEOGRAPHY - The taking of photographs by cameras, video cameras or mobile phone cameras of any performance is strictly forbidden. This is a ruling of the Child Protection Act. Professional services are provided in both photography and videography and is to be arranged with the consent of the parent/teacher prior to the performance. Should this rule not be adhered to then this may result in disqualification. Any device with a screen is strictly forbidden to be used by audience members during any performance and includes videos taken side of stage from the wings.
16. VENUE - Competitors must not rehearse on stage. In shared dressing rooms, all competitors and associated parties are expected to demonstrate respect for the space, costumes and belongings of others at all times. Each dancer will be responsible for keeping their dressing space clean and tidy. The toilets/bathrooms cannot be used as change rooms or for hair and make-up. A $200 cleaning fee will be charged to the school in question if any school leave their area unclean/untidy. It is best to bring many rugs to cover the floor area of your allocated dressing room as this helps to avoid problems with make-up and any spills.
17. AWARDS/REPORTS - A trophy is awarded for 1st, 2nd, 3rd. Voice critiques are given and can be collected from www.musicuploads.com.au
18. THEATRE ETIQUETTE - We encourage patrons not to leave/enter the auditorium whilst any item is in progress or whilst adjudications are being given. Please advise students and supporters that yelling from the audience or side-of-stage is not correct theatre etiquette, we realize that it is meant as encouragement but should be discouraged as sometimes it can actually be distracting and dangerous during lifts, acrobatic skills etc when it is important for the performer to concentrate.
19. REFUNDS AND CHANGES TO YOUR INVOICE - Dance Exchange cannot refund any entry fee unless we cancel the event. Changes to your entry due to honest mistakes will happily be rectified up to 7 days after your invoice is generated, please email with your request, email@example.com including all the relevant information, section numbers etc. Changes after 7 days will incur a $20 fee per dance, so please enter carefully.
20. COVID INFORMATION - Well before the competition is advertised for entry submissions money is outlaid by Dance Exchange to secure our event. Should there be further restrictions in place and we need to reschedule or cancel the Competition ALL refunds will be minus the Comps-On-Line fee of $6.00 and the Dance Exchange administration fee.
21. GENERAL INFORMATION - The doors will open 1 hour before the session starts. It is advisable that all schools are on the premises 1 hour before the start of their first session. Food will be available for purchase. Please discourage eating in the dressing rooms.
22. ARRIVAL/DEPARTURE - Every school needs to report to the administration table on arrival and prior to leaving for both check in purposes as well as to collect all awards and reports at the end of the day.